Monday 13 April 2020

Barefoot Back Track


I took my all leather Skora Form minimalist shoes for a run. They are quite different to the Vibram Five Fingers, and quite different to the Vivobarefoots. Better than the Vivo’s and different to he VFF’s. Does that mean I think VFF’s are better than the Vivo’s…? It’s a difficult one. I can feel myself back tracking after all these years, given I criticised the VFF’s in previous posts as being poorly conceived and not very durable, yet, there is nothing quite like the VFF's for barefoot running, the other shoes I would say are “minimalist” and shoe-like (the Skora need breaking in, and then were super-comfortable, but the Vivobarefoot Primus Trail have never been that comfortable and tended to give me blisters) whereas the VFF’s are probably the closest to barefoot …especially with a rubber sole of no more than 3 mm in thickness and they are comfortable, just like wearing a glove in fact. Does that mean I no longer like the Skora, previously my ultimate minimalist running shoe? Not quite...

I just think we get so het up in brands and functionality, even with barefoot shoes; however we go barefoot to get away from all the torsion bars and gel heels and anti-roll orthotic insoles…and yet we find the equivalent nerd science in barefoot…I guess that is consumerism: packaging our god-given barefootedness into something we can buy!

I’m starting to think it is time to actually run with no shoes…and in the meantime I think I’m heading back to my old Vibram Five Fingers...which are very comfortable (I don't think I ever got a blister) ... I have glue and I have some thread and I am going to try repair them! Would I buy another pair? I'm thinking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!