Friday 7 July 2017

Vivobarefoot in vivo: Review of the Flex, SOA Kembo and Primus Trail FG

Vivobarefoot in vivo

Flex, Soul of Africa Kembo and the Primus Trail FG
I have taken advantage of the Vivobarefoot summer sale and so for this review I bring a cross section of shoes; from the casual wear of the leather Flex (which I like to wear at the weekend), through to the smarter suede moccasin Soul of Africa Kembo (which I like to wear to work) and the trail shoe Primus FG (which I solely use for running). 

As you would expect the whole concept of these shoes is minimalist in form and function, without any supporting structure and with a thin sole to give that “barefoot” feel to a shoe. Having worn  Vibram FiveFingers and the obscure but rather excellent Skora Form for the last couple of years I was intrigued to see how the Vivobarefoots would compare.

Vivobarefoot Flex

Construction
Construction wise this is an unusually designed shoe. A single piece of leather forms the toe box, which encompasses the foot, tied with laces, giving the impression of a shoe which is somewhat prehistoric in nature –  the leather being almost tied to the foot. The leather upper then progresses into a heel strap in which the two ends are stitched together. Within the leather upper is a synthetic “sock”. The sole is thin, flat and flexible.

Fit
The fit is comfy with a wide toe box and the leather is relatively supple without any need to break-in. The thin sole gives a lot of ground feel and the overall impression is of a comfortable minimalist shoe. However, it is not exactly a breathable shoe and although it does have some air holes, these shoes tend to get a little sweaty.

Quality
This is where the shoe is let down. Made in Cambodia, the weakest link is the stitching on the heel strap. Within a few days of owning the shoe the stitching split necessitating a glue and stitch operation and a subsequent reconsolidation a few days later. Putting a join in the one place that you are likely to hook your finger to pull the shoe onto your foot seems like a major design error. On closer inspection it would appear that the leather overlap was not quite enough on my shoes meaning that the leather was literally clinging on with its finger tips. Not really what you would expect in a shoe which is relatively pricey. Really, I should have sent these back however I liked these shoes enough to do my own fix. 

Conclusion
Very comfortable although sweaty and are let down by quality issues. However they are excellent for casual wear and I always seem to get comments how great they look.

Vivobarefoot Soul of Africa Kembo

Construction
A traditional moccasin design in very supple suede leather, stitched nicely along the top aspect in the expected manner. The soles are the colour of amber which I quite like. Overall look – probably something in the Apache line. Geronimo would have approved.
They are called Soul of Africa because they are made of Ethiopian Leather in Ethiopia, a country well known for, amongst other things, being home to a lost tribe of Israel, the final resting place of the Ark of the Covenant, and also, its excellence in leather work.  

Fit
The fit is wide flat and comfortable and strikes me as the epitome of a barefoot shoe. I wear these to work and it feels extremely relaxing to be able to impart a minimalist ethic to the office! One of the main reasons for buying these particular shoes was that I had a bad back for a few months and found traditional shoes such as Loakes with a heel, whilst fantastic quality just exacerbated my lumber pain. The flatness of the Vivobarefoots and the way it changes the way you walk, with that added ground feel really has helped my back. In fact it has changed my whole body posture, moving my spine into a more vertical alignment, naturally making me pull in my stomach and pull my shoulders back. 

Quality
My favourite shoe so far, moccasin construction, great leather quality and great production quality. Having said that one of the stitches has pulled from the side, not compromising the integrity of the shoe but aesthetically displeasing. This shoe is made in Ethiopia and the overall quality is of a higher standard to the Flex that is made in Cambodia. Great for summer wear…not so good for rainy days in the UK...although I am sure some suede treatment would  make things a little more water resistant.

Conclusion
Despite the mis-stitch I would buy these shoes again and they are my firm favourites. I love the suppleness of the suede and I would even quite like to run in these as they are so comfortable.

Vivobarefoot Primus Trail FG

Construction
Synthetic upper with a tough grippy sole. These shoes have a large toe box and a thin semi-transparent breathable panel on the side. These shoes come with quick release laces which I am not overly keen on, but after some experimentation I achieved the tightness of fit that that I like, and the “give” in the laces then worked very well. The material on the upper, over the toe box, is a very soft breathable membrane which I really like. The soles are thicker than the other shoes and more rigid – giving a more “clumpy” feel.

Fit
These shoes seem to fit very well and are the correct width and length for my feet. I did get a blister on one of my toes but I think I just need to adjust the quick release laces so prevent any foot slippage.
 
Quality
These shoes are made in China, and as expected are of a high production quality with all stitching, glueing, and construction being "grade A" perfect.

Running review
I took these out for a 7 ¼ mile run. Immediate feel was that the soles were thicker and stiffer than other “barefoot” shoes, however I found that one naturally falls into the toe-strike running style. Running through town towards the countryside I could feel that these weren’t a natural choice for tarmac running. These shoes came into their own once I hit the rough woody trails of the English countryside, the soles being thick enough to protect from sharp stones and yet not overly effect ground feel. I would say that the combination of ground feel to protection is darn near perfect, the grippy soles allow you to shift a gear and run faster on gravel, rocky, uneven surfaces and the breathable mesh of the shoes keep things a little cooler.

However, the shoes are not quite wide enough for me, and perhaps that is because I have a big hallux (big toe) the shoes feel a little uncomfortable, or awkward around the big toe. If these were leather shoes the leather would stretch and conform however these are made from synthetic material, and the thicker material which wraps over the top of the big toe doesn't help. Personally, for me this is a poor design choice. But I have wide feet so I am not the average by any means.

Conclusion
A top-quality minimalist trail shoe which is just almost perfect. I found they gave me an added confidence running over rough and uneven ground, without fearing a bruised sole or a twisted ankle; generally better than my Vibram Five Fingers but not quite as good as my very excellent and very worn out Skora Form. The Skora Form still outshine the Primus Trail in terms of fit and comfort and because the Skora are made of leather they are self-conforming to a certain extent, whilst the Primus Trail are made of synthetic material and you can really feel that they are synthetic! That said the soles of the Vivos seem to be more hardwearing or at least more practical than the Skora, but  lets see how the Vivos look after 500+ miles...

Overall Thoughts on Vivobarefoot
As a brand one can only applaud Vivobarefoot in their range which goes from smart wear through to casual and sportswear, allowing customers to bring “barefoot” minimalist ethic to just about every minute of the waking day. True, Vibram Five Fingers also do smarter shoes but not quite like the Vivo’s – for example I can’t imagine wearing a Vibram Five Finger leather shoe or brogue to work, I would surely be sent home. Indeed, I would go as far to say that Vivobarefoot as a company has really nailed it. 

Vivobarefoot has also changed my whole view on shoes. I have been minimalist running for over two years yet only rarely used minimalist shoes for casual wear. Now I can wear the same minimalist soles for work, rest and running meaning that my body doesn’t have to keep adapting to each shoe that I put on. I have found that my bad back which has troubled me for months (after a bad cooling down stretch at the gym) is now getting much better, and really raises my awareness to a holistic view of the feet being the foundation of the body. For example, a bad back in traditional terms would generally mean a trip to a physio or chiropractor and not to a change in one’s shoes. However, a change in shoes has changed the way I walk and run and how I hold my body throughout the day. It really is a lifestyle change with very real results. Needless to say that (aside from some random quality issues in the stitching department) I am pretty chuffed with my Vivo’s and will be a repeat customer.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!