Sunday 15 March 2020

Snitte: The Danish Art of Whittling Part 2

Cut my damn finger but learnt an important lesson: never whittle with a big knife, especially one as wicked as the Helle Viking.
OK Mick, you got a point, but with whittling smaller is better!




cut to the bone with the Helle Viking
Mora Precision





So, I am using my little Mora Precision and what a little beauty it is, and a perfect blade for whittling with its full grippy handle and ultra-sharp stainless-steel blade.

Anyway, so I have taken a rough cut out blank of a blue tit and I have spent some wonderfully calming moments whittling away despite the impending doom from COVID-19.

Mora Junior Wood Carver
It is also a good lesson to start one's children on, here small hands are working well with the Mora Junior wood carving blade.

So end of part 2 of learning how to whittle in the Danish way...The bird is still a bit blocky, I just need to get the shape fine tuned and then it will be ready to paint, which I am really looking forward to doing.


Roughed out blue tit


Almost finished
I am really enjoying the book Snitte: The art of Danish Whittling by Frank Egholm...it is light hearted relaxation in these troubling times....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!