Thursday 11 June 2020

Barefoot Bushcraft?


I thought I had come up with a new thing "Barefoot Bushcraft", mixing my barefoot interests with my love of the outdoors and bushcraft. Well... it’s not new....it's been done before. As have most things, I guess.

I suppose I remember that scene in Crocodile Dundee when Mick Dundee is walking barefoot through the bush keeping an eye on Sue, and then pervs on her and her skimpy swim suit just before the fake crocodile comes out to eat her. That idea of walking barefoot through a forest appeals to me...No, I'm not influenced by films at all.

So, there I was in the middle of a unkempt wood. Lots of deer. It was hot. I had to light a fire to keep the mossies away and then I thought…no time like the present to do my barefoot thing. I cooled my feet and then went off for a wander. Every thorne, biting ant, spikey thing, mosquito and biting fly was attracted to my feet. And then there is Lymes Disease to consider. I covered about 3 yards, maybe 4 before deciding that this was neither practical or comfortable.

Which leads me back to the whole barefoot thing. Is it a fad? Another way of “identifying as”, or a good training routine to strengthen tendons and muscles? What I think is yes to all of the above. It is good for training purposes, it is good to be barefoot as and when the environment allows, it is also a bit of a fad and certainly a mode of identification (I even identify as such on my Instagram and Twitter - why? because it makes me different I suppose, it makes me a slightly more interesting nobody).
 
But barefoot is still a minority thing, and let's face it, Barefoot is a total commitment where you must re-learn how to run or walk without shoes, and as I have found out (having recently picked up an injury through barefoot running), it isn't always good for your health.
I think the main benefit of barefoot is as a training exercise, as a way to do a lower limb work out and even as a contemplative exercise (nothing like stepping on a sharp stone to bring you back into the “now”.). Barefoot Bushcraft doesn't really work, can you imagine dropping a knife through your foot or swing an axe into your big toe? Having said all that I might wear my Vibram Five Fingers into the woods to see if it can bring me a different bushcraft experience. Will I be able to track deer better with barefoot shoes? Can I incorporate running and bushcraft? Will I invent a whole new barefoot bushcraft running experience? Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!