Sunday 24 July 2016

Chia Seed Iskiate Pre Run Gel

The recipe is simple.

1) Add a little boiling water (not too much) to a teaspoon (you can add more if you like) of chia seed in a mug.

2) Add a little sugar and the juice of half a lime.

3) Cover and leave over night.

Before your run drink / eat the iskiate (it is slightly chewy). The seeds themselves are a high source of protein and fibre but also swell with water so this will help with hydration.

I tested this by running on an empty stomach and drinking water on the run, and then for my next run I drank the Iskiate and then ran with plain water. The result was a noticeable increase in energy, an increased stamina, and an improved hydration and I had covered over 3 miles before I remembered to take a sip of water, and it was a hot morning.

The secret of Iskiate appears to be in its pre run drink rather than in a post run recovery drink. Iskiate is incredibly light on the stomach, and allowed me to run 7 miles in my minimalist "barefoot" Skora Form shoes and feel like I could have run a couple more miles. In fact I feel like I could take my Vibram Five Fingers this afternoon for another 3 miles at least.  It really appears to be the wonder drink that everyone says it is and could radically improve your fitness regime. Also it is so simple to make, and cost effective when you look at running gels. I definitely think it will assist my barefoot and minimalist running as I look towards reaching ten miles runs in the near future.

Give it a go and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!