Thursday 12 May 2016

Review of Nature's Plus Spiru-Tein Protein Supplements

I have found myself intrigued by the virtues of Spirulina - a blue-green algae - and even tried taking some spirulina tablets, but I am not much of a pill taker so that went by the by. However I recently found Spiru-Tein powder, an organic protein supplement made from spirulina and soya, and decided to give these a go as a recovery drink. They come in a variety of flavours - but I have limited my review to Vanilla and Cookies and Cream... and I bought some sachets instead of buying a big tub of a product that I may not like.

The powder contains 41g of protein per 100g and a heap of vitamins and other essential amino acids and you can mix it with either milk or water (I used milk). I am guessing if you are a body builder you will not want to use this product,but I may be wrong. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting...but given that this product is made from algae I was not hoping for much.

The cookies and cream was a surprisingly good - first taste was biscuity and very much like cookie dough. In fact since the powder doesn't dissolve very well the lumps actually did taste like (and chew like) cookie dough. The label does say "dissolves instantly" but it doesn't, so if you like your smoothie, well, smooth then you will need to whizz it up with a whizzer. I myself quite liked chewing on the lumps and although improperly mixed I found that I really liked this drink. A bit like a melted Haagan dasz ice cream - not bad after a long hot run.

If Cookies and Cream tasted like cookie dough, then Vanilla flavour can only be described as tasting like Play Dough and the mixture comes out with a green hue (perhaps not surprising as it is made from algae). It's not unpleasant it is just not as a nice the Cookies and Cream.

Both flavours are easy on the stomach and the taste is good although it is quite a sweet mixture. I will not try the other flavours in the range (like strawberry and banana) as I know which one is exceptionally good.

Conclusion.
A bit gloopy and difficult to mix but tastes good when mixed with cold milk and is organic. If you want to try something different for your protein supplement buy a sachet...My recommendation is: Go for the Cookies and Cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!