Wednesday 19 August 2015

Shin Splints and How I Overcame Them.

Firstly if you are currently suffering from Shin Splints and are researching the condition for a solution, then you have my sympathies. It's not good news at all and you have a long period of recovery ahead. If you don't have Shin Splints...well read this anyway because prevention is always better than cure.

OK so lets review the condition...the details of which are etched in my mind. Throbbing pain to the medial distal two thirds of the Tibia. A number of causes from inflammation of the muscle fascia to stress fractures of the bone...through overuse...in parade drilling, basketball, running...

I got Shin Splints from running too much too soon... and I thought I would never escape from them. I rested up. I researched. I rested some more. I kayaked a lot. Eventually I started Chi Running. My friend laughed at me "Chi-What?"

Chi Running is, and this is direct from the ChiRunning website, a concept utilizing:
"...principles of T’ai Chi ... to optimize the flow of energy in your body, to reduce the use of force for moving forward, and thereby reduce the risk of walking or running injury, while maximizing the benefits of mindful movement and healthy living."

Chi Running was a start but not a total solution. Shifting my running style from clumsy heel striking to more aware mid foot strike, however I soon over worked the calf muscles which produced another sort of Shin Splint pain. A friend advised me to run through the pain. This, I assure you, does not work with Shin Splints. Complete rest is the answer. And try not to bend on your haunches, or walk up hills. In fact put your feet up and practise RICE,

Rest Ice Compression and Elevation.

Then look at your trainers.

The conventional treatment includes buying cushioned trainers and to try and prevent over-pronation with a rigid orthotic which fits in the shoe. However contemplate on the fact that you cannot over-pronate if you land on your mid-foot. One can only over-pronate if one lands on the heel, and heel strike is only possible in running shoes with a cushioned heel. I did an experiment. I made some custom foam insoles which were extra thick and extra cushioning and these MADE THE PROBLEM WORSE. Therefore I decided to have less cushioning.

The solution for me was simple: to learn how to run again and build up the muscles slowly. I researched trainers and settled on the Puma Mobium which were a lighter and faster shoe. Had a break from running and then started again slowly. The Puma Mobiums eventually ended up in the bin when I discovered the barefoot running concept because I could still feel the Shin Splint pain in conventional trainers. It was a risky solution but I was pretty much at the end of the road. It was now or never.

With the "barefoot" or minimalist running I found the Shin Splint pain began only once and I simply took a week and a half off and then concentrated on the running form which I had read in Chi Running i.e mid foot strike, feet under the shoulders, kick towards your butt visualize you are running on thin ice over a lake which is cracking under you feet. Six months after starting running in Five Fingers I am running without any sports injuries. No sports injuries for six months. It may not sound like much but for me it is a tremendous achievement.

Curing Shin Splints.

This is the Million Dollar question or should I say the Million Dollar answer...but the answer is just common sense.

It takes time. I'm talking months of no running and then a relearning and rebuilding of muscle from a quarter mile and steady (tentative) increase (no more than 10 percent). You need to build up the correct muscles to absorb the impact of running rather than rely on the cushioning of your trainer, Wrap the head of a sledge hammer in rubber and go and hit on concrete and you'll get my point. Despite the rubber the Impact vibration wavelength travels, it transmits. Your muscles must learn to dampen out this impact vibration,

So you have to build up the bone, tendons and muscles of the foot, ankle and calf and utilize pronation as part of the "suspension system". You need to mid foot strike and run lightly - no pounding the pavements now.

Rethink nutrition and lose weight. Plenty of Calcium and protein after a run (Milk based recovery drink). If you smoke you need to stop. If you drink you need to cut back. Focus on running form. If you can do Chi Running then do it. If you feel inclined to include some barefoot running into your training regime then try this also. This will strengthen muscles. Even better if you can run down the beach with no shoes on.

Mix terrain. If you see a patch of grass, or sand, run on it. Run into the forest. Slow down. Don't plod. Think light.

Aim for the optimum foot strike and optimum pace for your body. Not many of us are athletes, be truthful to yourself and what condition you are in. I mean I think I am a super-fit athlete but I am anything but, and whilst my Daddy body is suddenly in vogue...I ain't going to manage a marathon any time soon...or a half-marathon for that matter.

Baby steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!