Saturday 22 February 2020

Snitte: the Danish Art of Whittling Part 1


There are plenty of whittling books on the market, and I seem to get quite a few as Christmas and birthday presents and usually they are not tremendously inspirational. You know the sort, 50 things to do with a penknife or those whittling books whose projects are little animals, little dogs or what-not. 

I don't tend to like such books anyway as I don't really like following instructions; I'd rather let my creative spirit work through whatever I am making - I suppose I have the temperament of an artist.

This book Snitte: The Danish Art of Whittling was a birthday present. I don't think I would have ever chosen it for myself. I flicked through it once and made those reassuring noises that one has to make, along with many thank-yous and "yes dear I really do love it" and "it’s just what I wanted" and put it on the book shelf to gather dust next door to a biography of the Supermarine Spitfire and The History of the Fens. All equally dusty.

Fast forward a year...


...And I was itching to do some woodcarving but I couldnt get inspired. Do I do a big project like a sleeping wolf, or a curled-up dragon? No, I just want to do something straight forward.


A-hah! I thought, "there is a book that might just do the trick". I picked up Snitte: The Danish Art of Whittling and had a flick through. Now I dug it. This was just what I needed. I decided on a number of blue tits on a branch. (I love those little birds. There is something about them that is quite magical.)





I selected some limewood  (basswood) that I had in my wood store, cut it to the required size and started work.




And boy is it fun. Very relaxing as all the planning is done for you. Snitte: The Danish Art of Whittling is a great little book! I followed the instructions and used the template of the blue tits provided in the back of the book. Easy Peasy.





But here goes. 8 blue tits marked out.


In true Scandinavian fashion I am using my Helle Viking Knife for the rough cutting and I will use my Mora precision blade when the finer work is required.

So far so good.

And I'm liking the book too...I'm won over. 


I will keep you posted...see Part 2 click here



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!