Monday 3 September 2018

Bushcraft for the Soul


Intrepid blogger climbs tree...
Unfortunately, my health has suffered having contracted infectious mononucleosis / glandular fever in May 2018. I went from running 30 miles a week cross-country in my vivobarefoots and my skora, hiking 20 miles in my vivo’s, being fitter than I have ever been…and then suddenly reduced to a physical wreck by the Epstein-Barr Virus. Now being unable to run for the next few months years and with a long physical recovery, I am looking at walking and bushcraft pursuits/ reviews. 
Fresh water croc, mate
Carved this with a Casstrom Woodsman Knife
As you may be aware from reading this blog I have been running / walking ‘barefoot’ for five years and I wear the vivobarefoot shoes practically all of the time, so, whilst the blog is still foot related there is a change in focus to a more sedate sort of bushcraft and minimalist living. It won’t be survival skills per se, although I may tell you one day about my childhood. (My father was in the Civil Defence so I grew up on Post-Apocalyptic NuclearDevastation Scenario’s.) Also, there are plenty of other blogs and vlogs (and experts) who deal with this, such as my favourite youtube channel Bush CampingTools and of course TV favourites Ray Mears and the Bush Tucker Man, without adding more of the same.
Instead I will cover woodcarving, a few knife reviews (Casstrom Woodsman , Casstrom No.10 Swedish Forest Knife, Helle Viking and the Mora Precision) walking, general nature stuff, and also running when I get back into it.
What to look forward to in future blog posts includes:  a review of Akubra hats (Colly and Stockman), and an insider’s look at infectious mononucleosis! (part 1part 2 and Part 3) ...AND... with the current pandemic of COVID19 a look at #StayHomeSaveLives #quarantineactivities whittling and so forth and also urban survival with some some random asides into Crocodile Dundee and Tolkien. I just blog about all the stuff I am interested...which is wide-ranging and sometimes random...Enjoy!


The CasstromWoodsman Bushcraft Knife


Bespoke stick with horses head that I carved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!