Monday 18 September 2017

Review of Sun Warrior "Warrior Blend" Raw Vegan Protein (Vanilla).


Introduction
I got a pack of this stuff for free when I got divorced. It wasn't a consolation prize, it kind of just ended up in my box when I was moving out. I looked at if for a bit and then thought. Hell. I'll try this stuff out. I mean its Vegan and that sounds really healthy...

First impressions
According to the blurb:

“Warrior Blend contains three powerful raw protein sources fusing the individual benefits of pea, hempseed, and cranberry seed into a smooth, delicious, and nutrient dense superfood.”

So far so good…what else does it say on the packet? It says, and I particularly like this, quiet please as it requires some contemplation:

“Illuminate body, mind and planet”

Like..Wow. It's a protein powder....anyhoo: lets look at the nuts and bolts…

Ingredients
Protein – pea, cranberry and hempseed.
Natural sweetener (Steviol) and stabilisers Fenugreek fibre and kanjac fibre.
And lastly… “medium chain triglycerides” in this case Coconut oil.

The protein : fat ratio
78g : 5g per 100g; or 16g : 1g per serving – which sounds pretty damn good to me.

Taste
My first taste of this I gagged and yelled “oh my god its disgusting” and it really is. However, through sheer determination I have learnt to almost like Warrior Blend. It certainly isn’t delicious as described on the packet, and I cannot detect a vanilla flavour at all. What I can detect is an aniseed flavour which predominates which I suspect is from the fenugreek fibre and an acrid bitter sweet aftertaste which could well be the cranberry.

Consistency
Top marks. It is smooth. Really smooth. It slips down a treat which is good considering the taste. It dissolves well too (I like to use a miniature whisk.)

Results
I use the Warrior Blend as a post run recovery drink and I find it very, very easy on the digestion (it is gluton free so no bloatedness) which in part makes up for the awful taste. For my needs, and I am not an athlete by any means, the Warrior Blend meets them easily. My muscles, although lean, are in fine fettle and I have lost fat and defined some muscle. My running goes from strength to strength.

Conclusion
If you consider that Warrior Blend has a grown up taste profile and you are a vegan or want a vegan protein shake then this is potentially the one for you. I personally like Warrior Blend because it is Vegan and although I am a meat eater I like the fact that Warrior Blend seems a healthier option particularly these days when protein shakes may not be considered so healthy. Although I got my pack of Warrior Blend from my ex-wife by accident, I will definitely buy another pack when his one runs out, and will continue to do so until I get bored with the taste. It's my "go to" protein supplement. At the moment. That could change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!