Tuesday 5 May 2015

Trail running experience in the Vibram Five Fingers KSO

My circuit took in a number of different terrains from the uneven pavement in the urban environment, through to a mud track-way with grass tussocks that transects a wheat field; through a muddy alleyway between two properties replete with broken concrete, dirty puddles and dog excrement that leads into a small but exclusive hamlet; onto another metaled road which becomes a grass / dirt track and then into the wood – an undulating rocky pathway – and then back into town.

As I ran through the wheat fields and then through a pungent yellow sea of oil seed rape, I found myself reminiscing of my youth, of running the sugar cane trails of the “Savage South” of Reunion Island. The minimalist running sensation was so liberating and so enjoyable that lost in my thoughts I found a very comfortable speed and rhythm. A natural pace. 
I was surprised by how much different the “barefoot” experience was to running in trainers – it is much more noticeable than road running. I could feel every stone and rock; every squelch of mud and every patch of gravel – and my lower limb muscles had to work hard in the uneven surface, stabilizing the body - much more so than when wearing trainers.
Whilst it was a route I had run many times in trainers it was a totally different experience with the Vibram’s on. Suddenly the world is viewed at a different magnification, every crack in the pavement, every tree root rippling the asphalt, every tussock of grass or mound of mud, every sharp rock; suddenly the path is a chaotic topography of textures - miniature landscapes, hills valleys and boulders, miniaturized beneath your feet. 

The foot becomes this articulating platform, and the ankle becomes an articulating joint, adapting to the terrain and changing shape and molding to the different shapes that they land on. And you realize that you have to pay attention because it really hurts when you step on a sharp stone, or run over a rocky path. It is a world where you adapt to the terrain, and you find yourself concentrating on whether you are going to side step an obstacle, or indeed avoid a particular part of the road altogether.

I experienced running like I had never experienced it before, it was heavy going on the muscles of the lower limbs, and the soles of my feet hurt from the pummeling of the stones and rocks, and yet the sensory feedback allowed me to adapt my running style and also my route, running slowly and methodically; and finding a smooth path, in this case a natural gully or gutter, carved by water flow and filled with sand and detritus which lies next to the rough path. So I ran slower and lighter and more tentatively; I did concentrate on the two to three feet in front of me, looking at every conceivable detail, is it mud or dog poo? is it gravel or rocks? Sand or a puddle? Do I need to tread, sidestep or jump? And this concentration made the run a sort of meditation.

It wasn’t all plain sailing; the dew on the grass soaked my feet in the first three minutes and as I ran with wet feet (and no socks) I could feel my skins start to get sore. The pummeling of the stones made my feet feel tender and by the time I reached the decent back into town it was as if my feet were going numb or swelling or something. But no great harm was done. My muscles had taken a battering and that was that. I drank a recovery shake and felt quite chuffed. I mean I am a regular everyday guy and it felt like an achievement, to me. To an athlete it would be nothing, but I guess that’s not the point, it is the process which is individual to me; there are, after-all, “many paths to nirvana”.

You know a neighbor asked me why I run in the five fingers, and as I tried to explain ( not very well) I ended up saying it wasn’t like running in bouncy trainers – there’s no bounce which acts like a momentum propelling you along. “Well if they don’t bounce why do you would want to run in them?” was the reply. I realized it is something you cannot explain, you have to try it and then you will either get it, or you won’t. 
It’s like turning the act of running into a whole body philosophy, and I believe it changes mind and the body...and who knows maybe also the spirit. Would I return to normal trainers? NEVER!


Read here for more running reviews on Trion:Z, Skora, Vibram5Fingers, Senhai Boruit Head Lamp, Night Running...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!