Sunday 8 March 2015

“A good runner leaves no foot prints.”



I was reminded by a work colleague that I hadn’t updated my blog for a while. Which is true. A combination of blogger’s block and a cold has somewhat cooled both my enthusiasm and my imagination. However I have continued running through my man flu “you should have a big pill of MAN UP” I was told by said work colleague and then given a slice of home made Victoria Sponge. Nice. 

I have to tell you my father looked at me the other day and remarked whether it was wise that a 15 stone man was running without proper running shoes and I ought not being doing that until I lose weight. I took serious consideration of his words although I was already aware of the paradox (or counter-intuitive adage) that the more cushioned the shoe the less protection it offers or in other words – the more minimalist the shoe: the lighter you run. And let me tell you I have had my share of running in clompy trainers with wedge heels and I’m not going back to them!
With this in mind and given the extra pounds that I am carrying I really started to focus on the ChiRunning principles, which include straight posture, forward lean and mid-foot striking. Another really useful ChiRunning metaphor is that you should run lightly by imagining you are running on thin ice. Try it: it works!

So although I am the best part of 15 stone I am imagining I am running on ice, and running in my VFF’s my running is light, surprisingly light, in fact I can hardly hear my footsteps. And its all working very well. Now half way through week 8 I am up to two miles 3 to 4 times a week. That’s week 8 injury free. Not even a twinge. Nothing.
Injury free but taking note of what my body is telling me. Running in minimalist shoes works the calf muscles and the muscles of the feet and particularly works the Achilles tendon. However no arch pain! From personal experience I can say that arch pain can often be caused by a trainer which is too narrow and which does not give the foot the space to do what it does best – compress and spring back into an arch, and of course pronate. Since I am a little (but not much) overweight I still have to run with caution, my father was of course right, and the more over weight you are the more caution and less distance you should run. Really the distance and the time is unimportant it is the quality of your running form. Like Tai Chi. Its the form that matters.
...and as the ancient Chinese text the Tao Te Ching says “A good runner leaves no foot prints.”

My diet...
I have been supplementing my diet with baobab fruit powder (a superfuit) and chia seeds and eating a lot of Tempeh. Tempeh is a bland fermented soy bean product which can be sliced and stir fried; if the bland taste doesn’t float your boat, it can also be marinated (and it really soaks up flavours like a sponge), I have been experimenting with teriyaki sauce and noodles and a little rice with the usual stir fry veggies and this with proper portion control means I have started to lose weight.  I’m not going to insult your intelligence by giving a recipe on how to cook a stir fry. Just slice it all up thin and bang it in the wok. Sprinkle with soy or teriyaki. Job Done.

My Next Project...
Aside from the odious and seemingly endless amount of DIY I have to do, my next project is to make my huarache running sandals. As you can see from the photo they are essentially a piece of tyre tread held onto your foot by shoe laces. And when the film Born to Run comes out (starring Matthew Machoniewotsit) these will be the next big thing. Honest.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!